Wednesday 4 May 2011

Developers signage - Croudace sign - its gone at last


Further to 12th March 2011 as below, I wrote on 12th April to the Highways Helpdesk:


It is now getting towards three months since I reported this sign again and it is still there.
In the meantime the remains of the signs for the London Road closure, which was completed nearly a month ago are hanging from the same post. Perhaps they could be taken down at the same time.
 
Recently dozens of cycling signs have been affixed to lamp posts all along Holme Court Avenue, Mead End, London Road, Kitelands Road and elsewhere, which I presume were erected by using a mobile elevated work platform. So why was the sign not taken down then??
 
I got the usual response -  I have noted your comments to the report and passed to the Highways Technician for his attention.
 
At this point I made a formal complaint.
 
I am making a formal complaint concerning the Highways Fault Service and the Highways Area Team.
In January 2011, I asked again that an unauthorised developers sign be taken down. I had originally reported this in September 2007.
All I get from Highway Faults is “ I have made a note of your email and forwarded it to the Highways Area Team”.
But nothing actually happens. The London Road closure signs on the same post have been taken down very recently.
Below is the exchange of emails I have had.
 
On the 3rd May the response from Amey, Watchman in Chief, Bedfordshire Highways was:
 
Thank you for your complaint regarding the length of time it has taken to remove this sign.
I trust you have noticed that the sign was removed late last week, when we had an aerial platform passing. Health and safety legislation does sometimes mean that for small issues such as this where in the past we would have used a ladder, this is now not possible. It does not however excuse the length of time this small job has taken and for which I apologise.

My response was:

Thank you for your email. I had noticed the sign had been removed.
 I complained because of the lack of any positive response from the Highways Helpdesk over a period of over 3 months. I became frustrated because :
1. during this time I had seen a Highways cherry picker pass our house in Holme Court Avenue several times and passed one in the town.
2. Amey had instituted a cycling signage scheme along our road, London Road, Kitelands, Mead End etc etc and some of the signage is as high as the Croudace sign so I presume ladders would not have been used.
Thank you for your assistance in resolving this issue.
____________________________________
__________________
___________

In September 2007 I made the following report, and forgot all about it, even though I go past it all the time. The sign at the junction of Holme Court Avenue / London Road was taken down.

There are a two white Developers Signs with Croudace on them :

on a lamp post junction of Holme Court Avenue and London Road, Biggleswade as you come from the A1

on the lampost (CCTV camera attached to it) at the junction of London Road / Dells Lane / Back Street, Biggleswade as you come down London Road into town.

London Road / Dells Lane / Back Street - London Road: Report 50608

22.01.2011 - email to Highways

Three years on, the sign is still in place. Could you tell me when it will be removed please ??

24.01.2011 - standard email response.

I have noted your chase to the report & passed to the Highways Area Technician.

You can now follow the progress of your report online. Please have your report number and postcode at hand, and visit our website by clicking the following link: http://highwayfaults.bedfordshire.gov.uk/.

Please note our technicians have 5 working days to inspect and update the report.

26.01.2011 - email to Highways.

I cannot track this report using fault No 50608 and my postcode of SG18 8PB.

Can you advise me how I can access this please??

27.01.2011 - email from Highways

I noted your chase to the report on 24/01/11. Please allow the Highways Area Technician 5 working days to update the report with his comments.

27.01.2011 - email to Highways

You have missed the point.

If I enter my postcode and fault number (which appears to be the one from three years ago), I get this:


Postcode:
* Please enter your postcode.
Reference number:
* Please enter your reference number.




No fault record found matching criteria.
More recent reports can be accessed albeit there is no update as yet


27.01.2011 - email from Highways
You are unable to updates owing to the age of the report.

The online system was set up after this report was logged & reports prior to the set up date cannot be accessed.

For further updates on this report you will need to contact the Highways Helpdesk.

25.02.2011 - email to Highways

Since its nearly 5 weeks since I reported it this year and over 3 years since I first reported it and the sign is still there, can you update me when it will be removed.

28.02.2011 - email from Highways

I have checked the report & it was updated on 28/01/11 by the Highways Area Technician as follows:

"There is a scheme in place to change / upgrade this junction which involves moving or replacing this cctv pole. If this scheme goes ahead then this sign will be removed at the same time. If not, then it will have to wait until we have a mobile elevated work platform in the area."

05.03.2011 - email to Highways

The London Road / Baulk project was suspended at the Traffic Management meeting of 1st March 2011. It will be some considerable time before another scheme, is formulated and has gained acceptance.

Are ladders not used anymore, the sign is not particularly high?

08.03.2011 - email from Highways

I have noted your comments to the report and passed to the Highways Technician for his attention.

Regarding access; owing to Health & Safety policy we no longer use ladders.

12.03.2011 - above photographs taken

So its still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment