Monday 24 January 2011

Housing Developments Directional Signage - Central Bedfordshire Policy

Prior to my blog of 3rd January 2011,  I asked CBC if their policy was the same as provided to me in 2007.

Initially the response from CBC was :
 
Please forward more detail regarding your enquiry.
 
1    Do you wish to know what size a developers signage can be, or where or how many?
 
2    Please give me full details of the developer i.e. who and full address of site.
 
3    Do you require information on conservation area / public rights of way signage.
 
I repeated my question:
 
In July 2007, Andrew Prigmore clearly spelt out what was Mid Beds policy was at that time.
 
I cannot find anywhere on Central Beds web site any reference to your policy on Developers Signage.
 
I have attached below what Andrew sent me, if this is Central Beds Policy perhaps you can direct me to where it is on your web site.
 
I was then informed:
 
Thank you for that information. I have spoken to my Team Leader and have been told you need to communicate with Nick Chapman at Amey. nick.chapman@amey.co.uk for highway policy.
 
I sent my question onto Amey who said:
 
It took me a while to determine the policy. Applications are dealt with by Central Bedfordshire officers not through Amey and there is a policy of charging for the application and an additional sum per sign in case the Council has to take them down in default. These charges are not levied in the case of applications through the AA or RAC. If you need further detail please contact Paul Salmon who is the officer that normally deals with these.
 
I was being referred back to Central Bedfordshire to their Senior Traffic & Safety Engineer. This full circle took about 6 weeks. 
 
This is the information I received by return:
 
Thank you very much for your enquiry regarding temporary signage for developers on the Central Bedfordshire Network.  I can confirm that currently Central Bedfordshire Highways adopt the policy that Andrew Prigmore highlighted to you in 2007.  There is no direct reference to it on our website as we, as a new unitary authority are currently formulating our own policy which will have to be adopted by members of the council.  The policy has been written and is a joint piece of work from my self, our waste team, our network management team and the planning team, as I am sure you can imagine we get requests for more than just developer signage.  Once the policy has been ratified by all parties it will go to the Traffic Management Committee, who will choose to adopt it or not.
 
Currently on our website the only thing which mentions temporary signage is at the link below.
 
In regards to how would developers know what the policy is, the majority of requests come in via email or telephone through our highways helpdesk and they are then passed to me, or by the sign manufacturers themselves who the developer has gone directly to and they then contact me as they have become aware that I deal with these requests.  If the Policy is adopted after going through the Traffic Management Committee, then this will be made publicly available on our website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment