Friday 16 March 2012

Biggleswade Cycling & Walking Scheme




Further to the post of 23rd January 2012.


I received a response on 3rd February:

I’ve had another look at the design drawings and can confirm the following:

The sign at southlands school needs rotating 90 degrees to face towards the east directing school bound cyclists from London Road into the right of way along the school site (accessing Southlands School and Holmemead Middle via Mead End) and cyclists town centre bound towards Home Court Ave via Kitelands Road to the recommended cycle route alongside the railway.

The sign at the top of Home court Ave is correct, as cyclists for Stratton Upper are directed to the London Road Toucan Crossing (same direction as Stratton Business Park) in order to continue on Saxon Drive and Sorrel Way to access the school.

I hope this makes sense?

I replied on 10th February 2012:


No, sorry it doesn’t make sense.
Shown below is the sign on the Kitelands Road bend, which I have also indicated its position in red on the attached location plan. I believe the sign already faces East. If you turn it 90 degrees, one way, the town centre is across Kitelands recreation ground and the schools are in the opposite direction. You would not see it coming from London Road. 90 degrees the other way would point to the town centre back up the London Road and the sign pointing away from Southlands. As it exists the sign is pointing at the one and only cyclists entrance to Southlands, but as I have said before you cannot access Holmemead School that way. I don’t understand your comment directing school bound cyclists from London Road into the right of way along the school site (accessing Southlands School and Holmemead Middle via Mead End)” You cannot access Southlands Scholl from Mead End.
Moving on to the sign at the top of Holmecourt Avenue. As a cyclist coming up Holmecourt, (its not a cycleway, just a recommended route), seeing the sign pointing to the right to Stratton Upper School, I would cycle around the roundabout, take the 3rd exit and go towards Stratton Business Park. I would not even consider dismounting at the top of Holmecourt crossing over the road, and going across the crossing on London Road, then crossing over Saxon Drive.
If this is so correct why is it on drawing 501070-001-001 for Cycling & Walking Route Improvements it is proposed to change this sign
I did say in my last email

Attached to your latest email was a pdf of drawing 501070-001-001 for Cycling & Walking Route Improvements. This appears to be almost a complete replacement of the directional signage which was put up less than a year ago. Is this the latest scheme ??”

I would be grateful for a response to that question.

The reply I received on the 21st February was:


I will need to visit site with the CBC Cycling Officer in order to resolve this.
I will update you again as soon as I can.

I have today gone back to him:

I have asked you a couple of times, about the proposals on the pdf of drawing 501070-001-001 for Cycling & Walking Route Improvements, as they appear to be almost a complete replacement of the directional signage which was put up less than a year ago. I asked is this the latest scheme ??
You have never responded to this question.
Well I seem to have my answer, as yesterday the cycling sign, on the lamp post near our house was removed and the the road marked up to take the new signage. Today workmen are removing and repositioning the barriers on the public footpaths.

I have just received this reply:

Apologies for the delay. The plan mentioned forms the basis of the latest scheme which include very minor alterations to the original layout. I understand since our discussions a revision has been issued.

Since your last email the Central Bedfordshire Council Client confirmed the scheme signage is correct. If you have further disputes I suggest you contact him directly as I am only relying on his information when I respond to you:

Sustainable Transport - nick.shaw@centralbedfordshire.gov.uk

Cycling & walking Officer -  steve.lakin@centralbedfordshire.gov.uk.

Now you know who to contact if the signs do not make sense to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment