Monday 23 January 2012

Cycling signage - a completely new scheme to include walking routes?


Further to the post of 4th May 2011:


Further to the email of 27th April from the Senior Engineer (Road Safety)  Bedfordshire Highways:

Thank you for the further details. I will discuss these issues with ******** to ensure the intended cycle routes are clearly signed from origin to destination. Clearly from your photographs there are a few issues to resolve. Hopefully you will see these changes on the ground soon. Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I asked on 25th May 2011 for an update as none of the signage appeared to have changed. I was told on the 26th May 2011 that the scheme was with an engineer and in the process of review for amendments.

I asked for an update on 19th June 2011 as some of the signs had been corrected and again on 9th November 2011, but no response.

I asked again on 8th January 2012 and received a response on 11th January from  the Senior Engineer (Road Safety) Bedfordshire Highways, that he was under the impression the corrections to the signage had been completed. On the 12th January he sent me another email,

The Engineer has conformed all the signs but one has been corrected as required. The remaining works will be completed this financial year. After which a completion meeting will be held between the design engineer and client to review the works carried out.

I have today gone back to him:

It was in April 2011 that in Biggleswade a proliferation of cycling signage first appeared, some pointing in strange directions, which I brought to your attention at that time.

I contacted you again in June and November 2011 and again in January 2012 asking for confirmation that the signage had been amended.

Your response on 11th January 2012 was that you were under the impression the corrections had been completed and on the 12th that all but one has been corrected. I have not looked at all of the signage again very recently but neither the sign outside Southlands School, or the one at the top of Holme Court Avenue have been changed. I attach photographs I have previously sent you in April 2011.

Attached to your latest email was a pdf of drawing 501070-001-001 for Cycling & Walking Route Improvements. This appears to be almost a complete replacement of the directional signage which was put up less than a year ago. Is this the latest scheme ??

This is a small  extract of the drawing I was sent:


No comments:

Post a Comment